Wednesday, May 25, 2011

May 25, 2011

5-25-11 Wednesday, 7:17 am Springfield, 68 degrees, cloudy

My motorcycle trip up and back to Columbia went well yesterday. Only 4 pastors showed for the meeting with the bishop, but it was rich and fruitful as we talked through the book Switch and consulted about each of our local church situations. In some ways I feel almost overwhelmed with all the work that lies ahead for me. I recognize this feeling, and it seems to be repeated each May. The Asbury Seminary lunch is one of many planning/promoting events that I still have much work to do.

II Sam 7

David “was settled in his palace and the Lord had given him rest from all his enemies around him.” He ponders building a temple for the ark of the covenant, and Nathan the prophet tells him to go ahead. But that night God spoke to Nathan with a message for David – that he was not to build a temple, but that God would establish David’s offspring to succeed him. “He is the one who will build a house for my Name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever.” (verse 13) Solomon would be the son of David who would build the great temple, and Jesus, born several hundred years after David would be of the house and lineage of David, and will reign forever.

This Sunday is Memorial Day weekend, and I will be preaching about leaving a legacy, just how will we be remembered. This 7th chapter of II Samuel clearly is a legacy chapter, and could be the text I use for the message. Many people are remembered by their heirs, many by the buildings they built or the causes they support. The Noble peace award was established by one who made a fortune with explosives. The legacy of so many is tainted with their sins – Maddoff, Jesse Jackson, Arnold Schwarzenegger, John Edwards (whose wife just died of cancer) to name a few. This is an important topic for each of use to carefully consider.

Today is a gift from you, most holy Lord. I desire to live it to the fullest, according to your will for my life. Guide me in all I do, plan, think, and respond. I am yours today and forever. May my legacy be of obedience and fruitfulness as your servant.

No comments:

Post a Comment