Tuesday, August 16, 2011

August 16, 2011

8-16-11 Tuesday, 6:30 am Springfield, 70 degrees, cloudy.

Nehemiah 11

Following the completion of the wall around Jerusalem, this chapter describes the plan which was followed to populate Jerusalem and its surrounding villages. “The leaders of the people settled in Jerusalem. The rest of the people cast lots to bring one out of every ten of them to live in Jerusalem, the holy city, while the remaining nine were to stay in their own homes.” (Verse 1) The rest of the chapter lists by name the people involved. It seems that Nehemiah determined that it was important to ensure that Jerusalem had adequate population, even though apparently the refugees from the captivity had settled mainly in the villages, and were reluctant to move into Jerusalem. In chapter 4, verse 22 Nehemiah had told the people to spend the night within Jerusalem so that they could be guards at night, and laborers during the day.

There are many dynamics to the rebuilding of the wall, and the ordering of the life of returning exiles. Nehemiah was unselfish and discerning. He sought God’s wisdom throughout this process. This is my desire, to be unselfish in my leadership of the congregation, and to seek God’s wisdom each day. Guide me today, most Holy Lord, as I navigate the waters of Wesley, with the issues and opportunities that this day brings. Order my steps, my thoughts, my responses, and my initiatives. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment