Saturday, August 27, 2011

August 27, 2011

8-27-11 Saturday, 7:20 am Springfield, 64 degrees, clear.

I am amazed at the gradual changing of the seasons. This week with a group of pastors we studied Ecclesiastes 3 with the poetic observations that there is a time for everything under the sun – a time to be born, a time to die, a time to plant, and time to pluck up what is planted… (Eccl 3:1) There are 28 different human activities and experiences in the first 8 verses of this chapter. One of our pastors led this study, and it provided the avenue for us to reflect upon the changes in our lives over the 20 years we have been meeting together. Give our culture’s fascination with youth, it is a healthy practice to invest time with the men who have known me for 20 years and whom I have known as we have raised our children, pastored our churches and husbanded our wives. I made the statement that we can expect to gather at the funerals of our brothers as the inevitable happens. We then made plans for another retreat next year with the intention to stay in touch throughout the year.

Psalm 1 (My text for tomorrow’s sermon)

“Happy are those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or take the path that sinners tread, or sit in the seat of scoffers; but their delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law they meditate day and night. They are like trees planted by streams of water, which yield their fruit in its season, and their leaves do not wither. In all that they do, they prosper.” (verses 1-3)

This Psalm has two basic pathways – follow the advice, walk in the manner of wicked and scoffing sinners, or delight in and meditate upon God’s word. The former is so attractive and is the “wide path” which Jesus describes as leading to destruction, and the latter is the “narrow path” which leads to eternal life. Tomorrow I will use the Ben Carson story as my example of a man who pursued the narrow path after dealing with his anger, and became a brain surgeon who saved lives with his gifted hands. I will challenge all of us to allow God’s spirit to bear fruit in our lives as we surrender to His will and pursue His purposes, enduring much and experiencing His watchful eye and the prosperity of His plan.

(The following prayer is written by George O. Wood, published in his commentary on Psalm 1)

Lord Jesus, in the events of this day may I find myself in the path of the blessed. Keep my heart from evil – from walking, standing or sitting in the places of the heart and mind where I ought not to be. May I delight in You and Your Word, and may my inner thoughts be open to and upon You moment by moment. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Love your description of the relationship with your peers. Thank you for the posting that makes me think. Blessings of God be on you. Gene

    ReplyDelete