Saturday, August 20, 2011

August 20, 2011

8-20-11 Saturday, 6:33 am Springfield, 73 degrees. 88% humidity, wind 18 mph from the north.

Last night I was at Cox North until after 10 pm as a young person was admitted. This morning I have a breakfast appointment, then the 10 o’clock funeral for John Howerton. This afternoon Jon Morgan gets married at Wesley. My scripture for devotions will be the scripture chosen for the funeral – Ecclesiastes 3.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-15

Solomon has authored this book near the end of his long reign as king of Israel, following his father David. He chronicles how he has sought happiness through a variety of pursuits, and his conclusion is that it is all vanity. Matthew Henry’s commentary is insightful on this chapter, and observes that the overall theme of this book is that fulfillment ultimately comes from God, and pursuing any other objectives apart from God eventually turns out empty.

Verses 1-8 is a classic, much quoted section acknowledging the transitory nature of life on planet earth – “For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;” The firm apprehension of this concept brings a person a measure of peace throughout the vicissitudes of life.

Lord, guide my steps, my words, and my actions today that they might glorify you and minister to the hearts and souls of the people I have the privilege of speaking to. May my countenance, my demeanor, my presence represent you and bring faith and hope throughout this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment