Tuesday, August 2, 2011

August 2, 2011

August 2, 2011 Tuesday, 6:59 am 81 degrees heading for a high of 108! (105 yesterday)

I flew yesterday morning in the Piper Cherokee, making 5 good landings. I ran three miles on the Frisco Highline trail, conscious of the extreme heat at 1:00, and careful with hydration and monitoring my body’s signals. There is something about extreme weather that is challenging and energizing, bringing out the best in me. Today will be a typical Tuesday at the office, with the addition of a member’s funeral in the sanctuary at 11:30, conducted by Pastor Jerry. Our small group meets tonight, and I have a wedding consultation.

I continue to read Metaxas’ biography of Bonhoeffer, and yesterday finished watching a great documentary on his life, including interviews with Eberhart Bethge and other close family and friends. For my devotional reading I will read Psalm 62 and consult Bonhoeffer’s sermon on this text from July 15, 1928 when he was 22 years old.

Psalm 62 (King James Version)

“Truly my soul waiteth upon God; from Him cometh my salvation.” (Verse 1) During these morning quiet times my soul does “wait upon God” as I read His word, seek His direction, and consider the day before me. In the text of this Psalm the reader is encouraged not to trust in people of high degree, nor of low degree, and if riches increase, not to set one’s heart upon them. “Power belongeth unto God” and also mercy (verses 11-12). In the midst of a busy, technological culture, with debt ceilings, automotive recalls, political stalemates and millions starving in Sudan and Ethiopia, it is good to start this day with a centering upon God’s salvation, power, and mercy.

Today Lord I surrender all to your will and purposes. I prepare for this day with your word as my guide, your spirit as the power leading my steps forward. May I see each person I encounter as your opportunity for love and mercy, and may the planning, discerning, writing and preparing be your instrument of advancing your kingdom through Wesley UM Church in Springfield, and my servant leadership of this special part of Your Body.

No comments:

Post a Comment