Monday, August 1, 2011

August 1, 2011

8-1-11 Monday, 8:08 am Springfield, 78 degrees, clear.

Tomorrow is the deadline for the National debt ceiling and a potential default on United States debt. Last night president Obama and the leaders of congress reached an agreement which will be voted on today. It is interesting to watch this play out, with a heightened awareness across the country of the incredible debt we are accumulating – 40% of the federal government spending is borrowed. I am confident that our economy is solid, and I picture that in years and decades to come there will be difficulties caused by this era of an unbalanced budget.

Romans 16

The final chapter of this great writing by the Apostle Paul to the Christians in Rome, where he had not yet travelled, but would eventually spend time and then be executed there. In this chapter he specifically mentions by name many of the individual friends and coworkers in Christ. Most of these names are unfamiliar to me, but have been included in holy scripture for all time. This reminds me of the importance of every single individual who shares in the work of Christ throughout all time.

Wesley is a very large church, and each individual is precious. It is a privilege to serve as lead pastor. I live with the tension that I cannot know each individual in the same way, and I strive every week to know more people within and beyond the congregation. I am thankful for those who have known me in congregations through the years of my growing up and discerning the call to ministry.

Verses 17-27 are Paul’s final instructions. His main theme is to be careful to avoid people who cause dissensions and offenses. “I want you to be wise in what is good, and guileless in what is evil.” As Rome was the center of political, religious, social, and economic activity in Paul’s lifetime, there are many applications to us who live in the United States during this era.

Guide me Lord in all my thinking, acting, understanding, and living today as your servant on this first day of August, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment