Tuesday, August 30, 2011

August 30, 2011

8-30-11 Tuesday, 6:53 am Springfield, 72 degrees

2 Corinthians 4 (today’s scripture from the One Year Bible)

“Therefore, since it is by God’s mercy that we are engaged in this ministry, we do not lose heart.” (Verse 1) Paul faced opposition from many directions. There were those in the church who denied his authority and questioned his motives. All who are “engaged in this ministry” will face opposition from within the body of Christ, and from beyond. As I continue to read and digest the biography of Bonhoeffer, I have a new appreciation for the frustrations he encountered even within the confessing church as he could see things about the current culture that others could not.

Pastors “losing heart” is almost an epidemic these days. I think that there are many reasons that this is true, including the general tendency in American culture to be vocally unhappy with leaders – of government, industry, and education. My inclination is to lean into adversity, if it is the weather, or relationships, or the church. In verse 2 Paul states that he has “renounced the shameful things that one hides”. I have discovered that integrity and authenticity are critical to healthy servant leadership. Especially as people snip at pastors on issues such as music and food or anything else in which they are displeased it is critical to stand with Paul and not lose heart.

Verse 7 states that “we have this treasure (the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ) in clay jars…” Paul’s goal was to allow the glory of God to shine through his own humanity as light coming out of a cracked pot. It is likewise important for me to allow the glory of God to shine through my life, every dimension of it. In the apostle Peter’s first general letter to the church he comments on the various trials that believers endure, and he observes that “the genuineness of your faith – being more precious than gold that, though perishable, is tested by fire – may be found to result in praise and glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.”

Lord, I am your clay vessel. Cause your light to shine through me today as I serve you through the church. May all my actions, words, decisions, plans and responses be used to advance your kingdom on this last Tuesday in August, here in the Ozarks, in the life of this 55 year-old pastor.

1 comment:

  1. I am not good with relating experiences of my life to writen word in the Bible. I do know that I love God and His Word, and someone like you to guide me while considering God's Word. Some talents lacking, I still have senses that allow me to detect your emotions flowing through your blog on Tuesday morning. The winds bristle and the dust sciffs across in front of use sometimes. I pray that you know how much your guidance and words mean to me. Continuing in Prayer and working together for God. Your friend, Gene

    ReplyDelete