Sunday, August 28, 2011

August 28, 2011

8-28-11 Sunday, 6:16 am Springfield, 65 degrees, clear.

I had weird dreams last night. One of them had me staying at a homeless shelter and a man started beating his pregnant wife. I tried to get help but could not. Audrey and I were awakened by a 12:30 am phone call on her cell phone, someone calling from California. It took a while for me to get back to sleep, which made getting up when my alarm went off at 5:30 difficult. I am now fully ready for the day. The minutes tick by so swiftly on Sunday mornings.

As I preach this morning on the topic “Gifted Hands, Fruitful Lives” I will be lifting up Psalm 1 alongside the movie “Gifted Hands”. My three main points are A. Seeds of faith – like a tree planted by the water… B. Growth and nurture and C. New life to others. My application will include several questions to ponder: What has God given to you? Who are you listening to? What are you doing with it to bear fruit, life in others? How does God’s Word factor in you life? What are the obstacles in your path? What is your response to the obstacles? At the end, what do you hope for, expect?

God has given me so very much – stable family of origin, healthy body, inquisitive mind, spiritual mentors, a Godly wife, wonderful children, continuing education, adequate resources, 28 years of experience as a pastor, a vision for the church. Guide me holy Lord today as I serve You and lead in worship throughout the Wesley community. Use my countenance, my words, my thoughts to achieve your purposes in the lives of the hearers. I am yours, bearing fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment