Wednesday, August 17, 2011

August 17, 2011

8-17-11 Wednesday, 6:20 am Springfield, 69 degrees, clear

I am well rested and am ready for this day. I have a breakfast meeting, then a funeral, then an executive leadership team meeting. Our life group was cancelled last night due to the schedules of several which precluded their attending.

I Corinthians 11

The apostle Paul begins this chapter with this admonition to the readers: “Follow my example as I follow the example of Christ.” This is a bold statement that is instructive to me as a leader in the church today. Following the example of Christ is my prime objective, daily choosing to walk in his steps, and to be led by his Spirit. On a practical level, this is a discipline that takes constant attention. Life in community is ever changing and challenging. People get their feelings hurt and mistakes are made. Following Christ is a redemptive practice with an eye to how every situation can draw people closer to God.

The main content of chapter 11 is Paul’s teaching about male and female roles, praying with head covered or uncovered. I interpret this chapter to include some cultural norms along with spiritual principles, and the challenge is to understand the eternal truth. As a young man I visited a congregation with a date, and as we entered the sanctuary she was handed a small cloth to wear on her head as a covering. Even though she had long hair, that church wanted to make sure that this chapter’s instructions were followed to the letter. It felt awkward and looked funny to see her wearing this improvised miniature bonnet during the worship service.

Guide me today Lord as I follow you and lead others to do the same. May the words of my mouth, the meditations of my heart, my decisions and initiatives be acceptable in your sight, my strength and my salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment