Thursday, August 18, 2011

August 18, 2011

8-18-11 Thursday, 6:06 am Springfield, 75 degrees.

Thunder storms are in the area, with lightening strikes to the west. According to the radar, these storms are moving to the southeast and will not bring rain to Springfield today. My car seems to have a problem with its radiator fan and I will take it to the mechanic, and walk home this morning, then use the motorcycle for transportation today. I will pray with a group of pastors at 9, and coordinate a conference phone call at 2. I have the rest of the day flexible to make progress on my goals and objectives. One result of the Healthy Church Initiative has been the creation of mission-driven job descriptions for each person on staff at Wesley. My description has 4 major roles, 4 medium range goals, and quarterly benchmarks.

Esther 1-3

This book of the Old Testament was the text of the Hebrew course I took in seminary. The goal was to be immersed in the actual Hebrew language, and a side benefit was gaining a familiarity with the story of Esther. We used William LaSor’s textbook, which I have just pulled from my library shelf. As I read Esther today in English, using my Droid smart phone to access the daily Bible reading plan outlined by the One Year Bible, I am mindful of the scribes who faithfully recorded and through the centuries transmitted this text.

Chapters 1-3 introduce the story of king Ahasuerus who reigned from India to Ethiopia. He fired his wife when she would not appear before his cronies, and he conducted an exhaustive search for a beautiful young virgin to be his new wife. Esther was being raised by her second cousin Mordecai, and she was selected to be a contestant. This would have made a great reality T.V. show. Mordecai instructed her not to reveal that she was Jewish. She pleases the king, and is selected to be his new wife.

A subplot develops as Mordecai learns of an assassination plot by two of the king’s guards. He tells Esther, who tells the king, and after proper investigation they are hanged on the gallows. This gets recorded in the royal Book of Chronicles (different from Chronicles in the Bible). Concurrently, Haman is advanced by the king to have authority over all the princes. He demands that everyone bow to him, which Mordecai refuses to do because of his religious convictions to worship no one or nothing other than God alone. This infuriates Haman, who proposes to the king an edict that would give Haman the power to destroy all the people of Mordecai (the Jews). The king signs the decree. It is issued as law in every province. (This sounds like a page out of Nazi Germany!)

Guide me today Lord as I serve you in this era, careful to observe your will, to worship you alone, to pay attention to the events happening around me and take appropriate action as you lead my thoughts, decisions and direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment