Thursday, August 25, 2011

August 25, 2011

8-25-11 Thursday. 5:37 am Springfield, 69 degrees, clear, low humidity.

As I stepped outside onto our deck this morning, I noticed how bright the stars appeared, even with the quarter moon. For the first time I observed the constellation Orion, which is a winter constellation, reminding me of the gradual turning of the seasons, and also that I lack understanding of how the stars and planets are positioned relative to the earth.

I have not journalled for several days, as I have been on a retreat with eleven other pastors. In 1991 a pastoral counselor convened a group of us who were in various stages of ministry. Now, twenty years later, he is retired, as are several in our group. We studied the book of Ecclesiastes, chapter 3 and reflected well on the seasons and times of human life. We played volleyball, golf, and hearts. I managed to get in two decent runs. The cabin we stayed in had 5 beds, so we slept on the floor, on couches, etc., and managed fine without air conditioning. We have made plans to continue this annual retreat, even though the weekly meetings of the group have now ceased.

I Corinthians 16

Paul instructs the church on taking a weekly offering which will be given to the believers in Israel due to their extreme hardship. Paul will come for a visit to Corinth, possibly even staying the winter there, and wants the church to have already collected the funds for this need among Jewish Christians in the holy land. Paul also makes several personal comments in this last chapter. He brings greetings especially from Aquila and Priscilla and the church that meets in their home. I wonder what it was like to be part of that house church.

This morning at Wesley we will meet to plan worship themes into the spring of next year. Momentarily I will review the movie Letters to God as we are planning a series on Prayer in September. I enjoy the process of discerning and planning themes and topics for worship. I welcome the challenge of spending adequate time in prayer and discernment of the needs of the congregation.

I am yours, most holy Lord. Guide me today as we continue to plan for the funeral of Don Coin, our 5th member to die in 4 weeks. Give me the strength to lead the precious faith community called Wesley in Springfield.

No comments:

Post a Comment