Sunday, February 10, 2013

February 10, 2013


The whistling wind and blowing rain are comforting sounds, as I sit here in the family room at 5:30 am with the fire burning and my coffee brewed. I look forward to worship today, with a combined sense of anticipation and apprehension. This combined sense is a normal feeling, and it is part of the burden I carry for preaching. I begin the six-part Spring Training series today, subtitled “The Basics of Grace.”  I will read the various scriptures in which God is described as “slow and anger and abounding in mercy” for my devotions.

Psalm 103:1-14 Bless the Lord and do not forget all his benefits:
            Forgives all your iniquity
            Heals all your diseases
            Redeems your life from the pit
            Crowns you with steadfast love and mercy
            Satisfies you with good as long as you live
            Works vindication and justice for all who are oppressed
            Merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.
            He will not always accuse
            He does not deal with us according to our sins
            Nor repay us according to our iniquities
            As the heavens are high above the earth – so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him
            As far as the east is from the west he removes our transgressions from us
            As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him
            For he knows how we were made; he remembers that we are dust.
Psalm 145:8
             86:5
Exodus 34:6
Numb 14:18
Nehemiah 9:31
Joel 2:12-13
            “Yet even now, says the Lord, return to me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning; rend your hearts and not your clothing. Return to the Lord, your God, for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love, and relents from punishing.”

Thank you Lord for your gracious nature. Thank you for forgiving me, and relenting from punishing me as I deserve. Guide me today as I seek to teach about your grace and lead people to accept in a personal way your forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment