Tuesday, February 12, 2013

February 12, 2013


(Job 20-21) Zophar makes his second speech and Job replies. Zophar makes some good points about the godless, but he misapplies them to Job. Job increases his confrontation with God for being unfair. As I have been reading this book in my devotions for several days, and it will be a few more until I finish, I am finding many applications in my life and thought about this book.

It has now been a little over 24 hours since the Pope has announced he will resign as of February 28. Throughout the day yesterday, and on the news this morning there is speculation about who the next pope will be. I have heard a couple of leaders say that what the Catholic Church needs is an evangelist, that the one who follows Peter in this office needs to be a great communicator of the Good News. Someone has said that the Roman Catholic Church is an institution that needs to become a movement again. There is talk about how Western Europe is spiritually dry, but Africa and Central-South America are alive and growing. These comments could be applied also to the United Methodist Church! It is interesting to watch this process for electing a pope unfold as I am part of the leadership in my denomination.

I just spotted the first pair of Eastern Bluebirds, the state bird of Missouri. I have three nests around the house, and yesterday I noticed sparrows hard at work in the nest on my back fence facing north. I was cheering the pair of bluebirds on, hoping they will fight for the nest mounted on a support of my deck, facing south. In past years I have not had the nests out this early, but this year I left them up all winter.

Today we will have staff prayers at 9:15 and at noon lunch to honor Dutch and his work among us. We will have our regular Tuesday morning worship planning meeting, minus Jeff who will be assisting in payroll, and minus Rochelle who is with the medical team in Nicaragua. Guide me today, most Holy Lord as I serve You as shepherd and as evangelist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment