Monday, February 11, 2013

February 11, 2013


Pope Benedict has just announced that he will step down from being pope next month. He said that at 85 he has noticed in the last few months a decline in his energy resulting in his inability to perform the office entrusted to him. This will be the first time in 600 years that a pope has resigned or retired before dying. In our American culture, retiring early used to be such a big goal so that people could do what they wanted. I have adopted the Bob Buford approach to “finishing well” and expect to work through my 60s and 70s doing that which is fruitful and fulfilling, using the gifts and experience God has given me. Pope Benedict and others, including my parents, have provided a model of working into their 80s. Dr. Kalas was president of Asbury Seminary in his 80s.

I have just been reading about Pope Benedict on the internet, which led me to read about the Augsburg Confession, which drew me into reading about Martin Luther and then John Calvin. It is interesting for me to survey these church leaders from my couch here as the sun rises in Springfield in 2013.

Job 17- 19
In these tedious chapters of Job maintaining his innocence and his friends accusing him of sin, there is a refreshing affirmation offered by Job: “But as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and he will stand upon the earth at last.” (Job 19:25) Yes, I affirm with Job that my Redeemer lives, Jesus Christ, who was raised from the dead and who will come again in power and glory. I have not suffered the losses that Job did. My life has been blessed with good health, good family, and adequate resources. I realize that any of these could be lost in a single day, and that they are gifts from God. I desire every day to be invested in pleasing Him and accomplishing His will.

Guide me today, most Holy Lord as I designate this Monday as my “sabbath” and seek to rest as you have prescribed. Guard me from busyness, guard me from sloth, guide me on the path of restoration and replenishment that I might serve you with all my energy for a prolonged season. I give you thanks for strengthening Bethany in her audition at USC yesterday, her first of three across the country as she applies for admission to a Masters degree program in Vocal Performance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment