Tuesday, February 26, 2013

February 26, 2013


Pastor John Ed Mathison describes a high school reunion, where several classmates in their 40s were discussing their lives since graduation. One of them obviously had made a lot of money. There is a question that sometimes gets asked, which is not necessarily polite, but among close (or formerly close) friends it sometimes surfaces. “What do you make?”  One of these men asked this question, and after various answers one of them who was a high school teacher said “I make a lot of students see a better future for themselves. I make students think, dream, and question the status quo. I make students read, read, read. I make an average student realize that he can become something in life if he will take his God-given talents and utilize them…. You asked me what I make – I make a difference.”  (When God Redefines the Possible John Ed Mathison 2012 pages 65-66.) When I read this during my devotions at home a few days ago, I immediately valued the perspective of this teacher. Throughout our society, teachers make a huge difference in the lives of their students.

Our mission as a church is to make disciples of Jesus Christ who worship, care and serve. As the body of believers called Wesley United Methodist Church we focus all of our energy, our time, our gifts, our facility and our resources upon making disciples. We do this in the new-member process, in the children, youth, and adult discipleship ministries, through the college-aged ministries, through music and worship, preaching and teaching, and serving with hands and hearts around Springfield, and around the world. This past Sunday, in the Moore Gathering Area, a friend of mine who has been worshiping at Wesley for several weeks said, “Bruce, you realize that what is happening here [at Wesley] is a movement of God’s Spirit, this is not simply the church being an institution.”

I believe that God is calling each one of us to make a difference in the world. In the vocations we choose, in the way we spend our time and how we invest our resources. We make a difference when we impact people in positive ways. Lord, us me today to make a difference. Guard me from trying to save my life. Push me beyond the comfortable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment