Friday, February 8, 2013

February 8, 2013


Even though reading Job is tedious, each of the last several days I have gotten additional insights. In today’s reading (Job 11-13), I am reminded that just because a person knows some of the characteristics of God, it is very possible to misapply and erroneously accuse someone. Zophar is a prime example. The statements he makes about God are true, but his assumptions about Job are false. The notes in the Chronological Life Application Study Bible tell the reader that often the simple physical presence of a friend is better than words that try to explain a situation. This is good advice to pastors also. I have known some pastors who are similar to Zophar.

Yesterday I had lunch with a young friend who is pursuing a career booking bands and musicians into different venues in Springfield. He is the son of one of my childhood friends, and he inquired about being baptized. I look forward to continuing that conversation and guiding him further in his faith development. He is one of the 3 persons on my 3.3.3 prayer card.

Last night we had a very good meeting of the Church Administrative Council. This was the first of the new year, and for the teaching section I handed out copies of some of the pages from the 2012 Discipline, and reviewed the purpose of the Church, and the role of the Administrative Council. I reminded the council that the Book of Discipline is legally our bylaws, and also that Wesley is uniquely one of the largest 150 churches in the denomination, which is mostly comprised of tens of thousands of small churches. We learned that 2012 was a strong year of financial giving, and also that the facility study committee will have a recommendation later this year about the needs for building expansion, especially in the children’s area, and also involving auditorium and additional room for youth ministries, with the needs for dedicated prayer space and adult Sunday School classes also considered.

Today my main task is to work on the sermon for Sunday, which is the first of the Spring Training series. I will start at the office, and then after I have prepared what is needed for the bulletin, I will head somewhere away from the flow of church activities in order to think and write. Today at 4 pm we have a funeral at Wesley, officiated by Jim Massey. I will attend and support the family of our Upward Basketball coordinator, whose stepfather is the deceased.

Guide me today, most Holy Lord, as I joyfully lean into this Friday in the Ozarks. Use my mind, my heart, my experience, as your instruments, filled with your spirit to accomplish your purposes through my work as a pastor. In the powerful name of Jesus I pray. 

No comments:

Post a Comment