Monday, February 4, 2013

February 4, 2013


I have the gas fireplace burning, coffee brewed and the day stretching before us. Audrey and I enjoyed watching Downton Abbey as the Super Bowl was in its fourth quarter. I recorded it and will watch the fourth quarter this morning. I was at church last night during the youth super bowl party, and my extroversion kept me in personal conversations rather than watching the game. I had great visits with several adults and a couple of youth.

The rain just intensified, and it occurred to me that it is Monday. The song about rainy days and Mondays just shot through my mind, so from the internet here are the lyrics:
Talkin to myself and feelin old,
Sometimes I'd like to quit
Nothin' ever seems to fit
Hangin' around
Nothin' to do but frown
Rainy days and Mondays always get me down

In contrast to this song, I have always enjoyed Mondays, even before I designated it as my sabbath, and I find rainy days to be cozy and restorative as the moisture replenishes the earth. So for me, rainy days and Mondays usually fill me up with goodness and leave me refreshed. Karen Carpenter was the lead singer as The Carpenters recorded this song. Hers is a tragic story of a person with a great voice and a personal struggle that ended with her death resulting from "heartbeat irregularities brought on by chemical imbalances associated with anorexia nervosa." She died at 32 having struggled with diets and eating disorders for a long time. 

Job 2 -3
Job suffers physically, having lost his sons, daughters and all his wealth in chapter 1. His wife encourages him to curse God and die. He asks her if we should only accept good from the hand of God, and not also trouble. Three friends come to visit him and sit silently with him for 7 days. According to my Life Application Bible there was a tradition that when visiting a person in grief, you did not speak until the person spoke. The simple presence of a friend is comforting, and often words become trite. The ministry of presence we call this today.
The book of Job reminds me that unexpected suffering, loss without explanation is part of the human experience. Job models a faithful response until later in the book. My life has been blessed in so many ways. As I read this book, simply because it falls next in the Chronological Bible, it alerts me to the possibility (which I am usually already aware of ) that unexpected loss could occur at any time. I have two healthy young adult children, a lovely wife of 30 years, my own health,  a nice house, a solid vocation, and resources being stored for retirement. I am thankful for each aspect of my life, and I hold it loosely. Job provides perspective, it keeps me focused upon God, with my purpose of serving God, being faithful to Him until my last breath.

Guide me today, most Holy Lord as I live to serve and please You, my creator, redeemer, sustainer. May the fullness of Your will be accomplished in this day through my life. 




No comments:

Post a Comment