Saturday, February 9, 2013

February 9, 2013


It is tedious to read Job. His “friends” make accusations against him that are partly true, and partly misapplied truth. He defends himself to them, and to God. In chapters 14-16 the frailty of life, the omnipotence of God are emphasized. As my bird clock sings out 8 am, I am very aware of the passage of time. I desire to invest my life well. As a pastor and leader I have opportunities everyday to encourage, uplift, teach and bring the eternal truths of God’s word to the lives of men and women, boys and girls.

Today at Wesley there will be two sessions of Upward closing celebration, in which the clear Gospel message will be communicated, along with an exciting motorcycle and bicycle stunt performance. My work throughout the day will include phone calls, attending the morning closing celebration, and continued work on my message for tomorrow. Last Saturday we had the Leadership Experience Reunion and I assisted in refereeing an Upward Basketball game.

Last night Audrey and I saw a movie – The Silver Linings Playbook which was a good presentation of two families experiencing mental illness. The main character (Pat) just returned from 8 months in a resident treatment program after assaulting the man caught in the act of having an affair with Pat’s wife. He is in the custody of his parents and we see that his dad also has untreated mental issues. The movie has rough language and at least one objectionable scene, but seems to do a fair job of portraying the struggles of adults challenged with bi-polar disorder and seeking to get their lives back to normal.  This movie brought to mind a recent episode I experienced involving a person ranting and raving, and the experience of many who have family and friends struggling with sanity.

Guide me today, most Holy Lord as I seek to follow in your steps with obedience, patience, insight, inspiration and diligence. I am your servant, clay in the potter’s hands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment