Wednesday, February 13, 2013

February 13, Ash Wednesday, 2013


I have been awake for awhile, and finally got out of bed at 3:15 a.m. The light snow falling is beautiful, and it is collecting on the grass like powdered sugar, even as it melts on the roads and sidewalks. The high is supposed to hit 50 today, and as the sun comes out this afternoon, it will melt all the snow. In Big Bear, California, where my parents honeymooned and I played in my first snow (according to the 8 mm films!) there was a dramatic end to a violent killing spree. Apparently Christopher Dorner, the rogue LAPD cop who allegedly has killed 4 people died by a self-inflicted wound as the cabin he was holed up in went up in flames. The burning cabin and the unfolding story were hard to ignore on live television as we ate dinner and started our evening. President Obama came on with the State of the Union speech as the cabin was still in flames and before there was any confirmation of the final results in Big Bear.

This morning I will stop by the youth room at Wesley and consecrate the communion elements, then I will pray at Mercy hospital with Carol as she goes in for a knee replacement, then I will stop by St. Paul UMC downtown where Pastor Kerner is offering ashes to college students in the Green Room ministry. We have an executive staff roundtable at 10:15 am, and then the Ash Wednesday service at 6 pm followed by the final new member class. This afternoon I will work on my evening message and my Sunday message, as I will be travelling to Columbia tomorrow for the Mission Council meeting with the Bishop and other leaders of the Annual Conference.

Job 22-24
In chapter 22, Eliphar makes some good statements. His words in verses 6-11 remind me of Jesus’ teaching about the final judgment, the sheep and the goats, and those who fed, clothed, and cared for the poor, and those who did not. (Matthew 25) Even though Eliphar falsely assumes that Job has ignored God and thus his punishment, Eliphar makes some good observations about God, and judgment, obedience, surrender, and God’s omnipotence.

In chapter 24, Job asks why the wicked are not punished. In verses 10-12 he observes that the poor harvest food for others while they themselves are starving. This brings to mind the plight of many in Central and South America, where coffee and sugar plantations have taken the good land, and the workers are poorly paid for their labor. The land would support adequate local agriculture to supply the residents with food, except for the multi-national companies that own the plantations. This morning our medical team from Springfield is waking up in Nicaragua, preparing for another day of caring for the poor throughout the villages served by Rainbow Network. This ministry, founded by Keith Jaspers, uses a local structure that requires participants to be involved in ways that contribute to their own benefit from the programs of nutrition, housing, economic development through micro-loans, and medical treatment. Keith has told me that he picked Nicaragua because of its level of poverty, the government’s willingness to accommodate (which seems to have deteriorated lately) and its accessibility to travel from the USA.

As I write this early morning journal entry, I am pondering my Lenten disciplines. My regular disciplines include reading scripture every day before I eat breakfast, fasting on Fridays until the afternoon, tithing our income, praying daily, and pastoring the flock. Sometimes I give up soda for Lent, which provides me with a sacrifice that regularly presents itself as a reminder to pray. Sometimes I take on an additional discipline. This morning I am feeling that giving up soda will be my Lenten discipline, along with the others that I already observe.

Lord, on this day which Christians around the world focus on their intentional preparation for Easter, I pray that you would guide me as your servant in all my interactions and endeavors. I recommit myself to following your path and your will for my life. Thank you for this day, and this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment