Tuesday, June 12, 2012

June 12, 2012

The 4 day meeting of United Methodists in Missouri, called “Annual Conference” has come to a close, and it was one of the best in recent memory.Youth and young adults were the focus and their participation was inspiring. My attendance at this conference has precluded blogging regularly. Today is a regular Tuesday with my newsletter article due, worship planning, lunch appointment, and then concert tonight at church. This morning I will drop off my motorcycle at Performance Cycle for new tires and a good overall checkup. I am looking forward to a long trip on it in July.

Proverbs 12

This is a great chapter, and speaks to me at several verses. This Sunday I begin a 3 part series “Game Plan for Life”, with part 1 being “Athletes and Disciples”. Verse 1 says “Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.” Athletes lean into discipline, and are reproved often by their coaches. I want to continually cultivate a disciplined life, always open to reproof.

Verse 24 says “The hand of the diligent will rule, but the slack hand will be put to forced labor.” I have sought to be diligent all my life. When I gave my heart and life to Jesus Christ at age 18, I began a life of surrendered diligence to advancing His kingdom in my generation. 30 years ago I was ordained in the United Methodist church, and I have been diligently serving as a pastor. Yesterday I was elected to chair the Board of Ordained Ministry for the next 4 years, leading the United Methodists in Missouri in our effort to recruit, train, evaluate and credential the next generation of pastoral leaders. I am pleased to serve in this way, and to renew my commitment to diligence and discipline.

Verse 11: “He who tills his land will have plenty of bread, but he who pursues vain things lacks sense.” This agrarian metaphor reminds me that daily attention to the necessary work results in fruit. I have only gardened on a small scale, and worked on a vegetable farm in my youth. But I imagine that tilling the land was boring, repetitive, not exciting for the Hebrew people. I apply this to my pastoral work, and though I do not think there is any direct correlation, I am reminded to apply myself to the work that lies ahead on a regular basis and the results will be fruitful.

Guide me today, most Holy Lord as I “till my land with diligence.” Guard me from pursuing any vain thing. Use me as your servant in advancing your kingdom in this generation. Bless the group from Azusa that is traveling our way today, and their concert at Wesley tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment