Thursday, June 21, 2012

June 21, 2012

The first full day of summer! Even though it seems like summer weather starts in May, and Memorial Day weekend is the cultural kickoff, today is the technical first full day of summer, with yesterday at 6:09 pm being the astronomical solstice. Some cultures call this “midsummer” which seems more accurate. From today onward the days get shorter. The church has celebrated John the Baptist’s nativity on June 24, because scripture indicates he was born about 6 months prior to Jesus.

I awoke to this light rain gently caressing the roof, in an unpredicted occurance. It has a wonderful sound and smell and feel. The weather has been extremely dry so far this spring, and rain is welcomed. We have an in-ground watering system, which I have set to water 4 days a week. This seems like quiet the luxury, considering the economy of the world, to keep our lawn green through the summer months.

Today my schedule is such that I will make progress on sermon preparation and planning. One of my 2nd quarter goals is to have themes planned through the fall, and I will work on this today. I will also work on planning meetings and task forces for summer and fall. Last night I taught about the organization of the United Methodist church during week four of our summer semester, and today I will follow up on two folks who have been absent now for two weeks.

Psalm 103 (from today’s Upper room and also my text for Sunday, July 1)

Bless the Lord, O my soul…

I love this Psalm! I once memorized its 22 verses, and still have most of it readily available. It describes the nature of God: “pardons all your iniquities; heals all your diseases; redeems your life from the pit; crowns you with loving kindness and compassion; satisfies your years with good things, so that your youth is renewed like the eagle! (Verses 3-5) This Psalm also describes the nature of humans: “days are like grass, as a flower of the field, when the wind passes over it, it is no more and its place acknowledges it no longer.” (Verses 15-16)

Guide me today, most holy Lord as I live out this brief life in the arms of your lovingkindness and compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment