Monday, June 4, 2012

June 4, 2012

Ahhh, it is good to be home. We had a great choir mission trip, and the time I spent was most fruitful. Now as I return to a more regular routine I have many items to which to attend. My overall goal for today is to recover and put things away. I am tempted to work and prepare for future preaching and committee plans, but I know I need to take a break and rest.

Revelation 15 – The seven angels who had the seven plagues, which are the last, because in them the wrath of God is finished.

As I read the 8 verses of this chapter I am reminded of the reality of the end of time, and the struggle that is culminated with God’s victory. Verse 8 says “And the temple was filled with smoke from the glory of God and from his power; and no one was able to enter the temple until the seven plagues of the seven angels were finished.” Yesterday I preached from Hebrews 11, focusing on the definition of faith, and examples of Biblical characters and the choir mission trip. The assurance of things hoped for, and the conviction of things not seen is heightened when I read from the book of Revelation. It is all too easy to get lulled into thinking that what you see is what you get. This life can be wasted by living for self, for pleasure, for power or for wealth.

On the bus trip I was able to read a fair amount from Bonhoeffer’s Cost of Discipleship. Doing so reminded me of his total commitment to walk by faith, following Jesus in this life, no matter what the consequences. I am developing an approach to our spring 2013 small groups that will include some of the work of Bonhoeffer and Wesley, applied to today. My major reflection in the last week from this reading is that there is no simple, “cookie cutter” approach to discipleship. It is unique, a daily discernment of obedience to Christ, and different for each person. There are some basic principles, basic approaches that can provide the framework for a life of discipleship, and it is these that I desire to develop and write about in this spring small group material. I will likely include the work of Rankin, Mannoia, Keith Green, Jim Elliot and others.

Guide me today, most Holy Lord on this day of sabbath rest. Bless the family of Bill Medley as they plan his funeral and celebrate his life. Open my eyes to the unseen realities of your Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment