Friday, June 22, 2012

June 22, 2012

O what a beautiful morning, O what a beautiful day… That line from the musical Oklahoma says it all as I step out on my deck and take a deep breath on this morning in June. My dad used to quote a line from a poem “what is so rare as a day in June?” Thanks to the internet I have discovered that it was written by James Russell Lowell. Over the years I have quoted that line, from the days when I was a house painter, into my days as a CPA, and over the years as a pastor when I have experienced a beautiful morning such as this.

Today I will ride the motorcycle to the office, and work on writing my sermon for Sunday, my remarks for the wedding tomorrow, and I will look at establishing the direction I will go for August (I want to have this in place before the beginning of July). There are also several phone calls I will make related to planning and meetings for the future. Tonight I have the rehearsal for the wedding tomorrow of Kelsey and Heath, in which I am assisting Heath’s cousin who is a pastor in Nixa. Tomorrow I have an early start with the Men’s group in which Joe Himes is speaking about Cuba, a retirement reception for Dwight, and the wedding in the evening.

Luke 15 (Scripture from the Upper Room devotional for today – also the chapter studied on Choir tour)

The lost coin, lost sheep, and lost son (prodigal) – There are so many ways that this chapter informs me in my faith. The context of these parables is the grumbling from the Pharisees and scribes who observe that “this man (Jesus) receives sinners and eats with them.” On the youth choir tour, one of the insights I gained concerns the older brother who is bitter toward his father and unwelcoming toward his brother. This was the condition of the Pharisees and scribes, and it often is the feeling of people who have been religious for a long time, arduously trying to keep all the rules, and miffed when a rule breaker is received with open arms. Julie warned the youth group to be careful to welcome back any members who have strayed, and to guard against ever having the attitude of the older brother. I extended this to a whole congregation, and even to a whole denomination of people who might unconsciously communicate resentment to people coming back to church. Julie asked, "If you were the younger brother, would you want to come back to the family where your older brother was bitter and resentful?"

Guide me today, most holy shepherd of the sheep as I serve as your under-shepherd among the flock called Wesley. Guide me as I prepare to teach this weekend about your word and its value for my life, and for each person who hears this message, that we might rely on scripture even more than a football player relies on the playbook. Ultimately, I rely upon You as you lead and open doors for fruitful service.

No comments:

Post a Comment