Wednesday, June 20, 2012

June 20, 2012

Yesterday I visited Camp Galilee where many of our children and their parents are enjoying a church camp experience. It was good to see them, share a meal and hear their stories. The camp staff continues to do a great job with the facility. I rode my motorcycle up and back, which was a delightful ride, even though the temperatures were on the warm side. Today I have been invited on short notice to play in a golf tournament at Murder Rock with three pastors. My schedule was clear, so I have accepted. This morning we have executive staff meeting, including our self-evaluations for the 2nd quarter based on our missional job descriptions. Also this morning I will plan for the class I teach tonight on the organization of the United Methodist church. Cliff Crockett and I have talked about playing golf together for the 12 months he has been in Kimberling City. This will be our first opportunity. I always feel a tension of the use of my time when I agree to this type of outing that will take 5+ hours. Today I do sense it is the right use of time, and I will get to the office before 8 to get prepared for the day, and I will work late, teaching the course in our “summer semester”.

I Peter 4 (chapter related to today’s Upper Room)

This chapter begins with “Therefore, since Christ has suffered in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same purpose, because he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin.” The last verse of this chapter: “Therefore, let those also who suffer according to the will of God entrust their souls to a faithful Creator in doing what is right.” (Verse 19) The apostle Peter, who will be crucified by the Romans for his faith in Jesus Christ, and who according to legend requested to be crucified upside down in his statement to be unworthy of the same death as his Lord, writes in this chapter about suffering. I am currently not suffering in the flesh. I do live every day for the will of God (verse 2) and in this season and political climate there is not much suffering on account of faith in Christ.

The message this morning to me is to be prepared always to deny self and suffer as an identification with Christ, suffering unto death if that is God’s will. It was for Bonhoeffer, for Jim Elliot, and countless others who denied themselves, picked up their cross and followed Christ. I will constantly die to self, and live unto Christ. Guide me today most holy Lord as I follow your steps, always in the shadow of the cross. Show me today what that means for Bruce Baxter.

No comments:

Post a Comment