Tuesday, June 5, 2012

June 5, 2012

The brightness of the full moon is giving way to the rising sun. The birds are chirping away, and I just refilled the humming bird feeder. Yesterday was a delightful sabbath, as Audrey and I were together around the house tending to many tasks. I completely unpacked, did my laundry and put everything away. I emptied and refilled the wading pooling, watering the garden in the process. I took care of some family business and exercised at the gym. Today is a pretty regular Tuesday, with the addition of a motorcycle ride over lunch with a member, a long-promised outing. VBS will be in full swing, having begun yesterday. This morning I need to write my pastor’s pen and develop sermon themes for June 17, 24 and July 1. I also will catch up on email, plan the four remaining weeks of June, and prepare for annual conference, which begins for me on Thursday with board of ordained ministry meeting and dinner.

Revelation 16

The 7 angels pour out the 7 bowls of the wrath of God upon the earth. Each bowl results in horrible consequences, reminiscent of the 7 plagues poured out on Egypt. The 7th bowl resulted in an earthquake such as there had not been since man came to be upon the earth, nations fell, cities split, islands and mountains were not found. A plague of hail, 100 lb hailstones was extremely severe and men blasphemed God.

This chapter reminds me that God’s wrath is real and will be poured out upon the earth and upon all who refuse to accept His grace, turning instead to the mark of the beast. Many people in my generation dismiss the concept of the wrath of God, believing in a benign, gentle, all-forgiving maker. Psalm 103, verse 8 describes God as “slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness.” The conflict at the end of time will witness the full anger and wrath of God resulting in the destruction of evil and the ushering in of a new era. This will be better than any action film imagined by creative writers.

Guide me today, most Holy Lord as I live, move and breathe in the abundance of your grace. Guard me from complacency; compel me to invest every moment to your glory and for the building up of your kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment