Thursday, June 7, 2012

June 7, 2012

This morning I will take Brian and Jackson flying over Wesley and we will photographic the kids of VBS gathered on the lawn in the shape of a cross. The VBS theme involves the image of an airplane and complete trust in God. Yesterday I passed my flight physical and am good for 2 more years. During the examination the doctor said “I like to listen to an athletic heart.” We chatted about the book he is writing on Islam. Today I also have a meeting with the conference Board of Ordained Ministry in preparation for the next 4 days of Annual Conference. I like the annual gathering of clergy and laity from around the state for this conferencing. I will miss a portion of Friday evening as I participate in the funeral in Ozark.

Rev 18 – The extent of Babylon’s judgment

Reading this chapter I thought I was rereading yesterday’s chapter. However, this is the second chapter describing the judgment of Babylon. She persecuted the followers of the Lamb, and her destruction is lamented by kings, merchants and seamen who grew rich from her trade. She was laid waste in one hour (Verse 19). Immorality and sensuous living were associated with her. As I think about the world of the first century, the city of Rome probably was the most obvious reference. In our current world, there are a few cities which could embody Babylon, and at the end of time it might be a city that we have not yet seen.

Guide me today most holy Lord. My life is in your hands. I trust in you completely. Guard me from any distraction, deliver me from evil, for thine is the kingdom, and the power and the glory forever! Use me according to your plan and purposes today.

No comments:

Post a Comment