Friday, June 15, 2012

June 15, 2012

Whew! I have been pushing hard for 10 days straight, with Annual Conference and teaching/meeting/pastoral care at Wesley. My schedule lightens up today and tomorrow, with ample space for sermon writing. I am looking forward to beginning a series entitled “Game Plan for Life.” Last night David and I firmed up plans for a three-day weekend in July at Baxter Pines, reroofing the “lodge” and harvesting some oak logs for the cabin.

I have a pair of nesting bluebirds! I noticed their eggs in the birdhouse mounted to my deck post, facing south. It had earlier this spring housed a pair of sparrows. Last year the baby bluebirds in the birdhouse mounted on my fence, facing north were all found dead at about 10 days old, with nesting material on top of them, as though sparrows had covered them and perhaps killed them. The mystery of life in the wild is rugged and fascinating.

Yesterday we said goodbye to the Saints from Azusa Pacific University. They were headed to Illinois after 2 nights in Springfield. I think they had a very good experience, as Audrey worked very hard to prepare for their visit. As they were getting ready to leave, our Explorer erupted in steam with some part of the cooling system leaking. I limped it in to Marco where they identified a cracked thermostat housing. In the afternoon I picked up the Concours from Performance in Republic where they had installed two new tires, tightened up my lower fairing, and identified my fuel leak as coming from the fuel cock assembly, which needs to be replaced. I will order one from Kawasaki and consider installing it myself, or having them do so. They have also recommended some LED running lights and how I might install them.

I am in need of a new course for my devotional reading of Scripture. I have finished Revelation, and the last couple of days been reading selected Proverbs and Psalms. I think I will read Malachi.

Malachi 1

In this chapter, “The oracle of the word of the Lord to Israel through Malachi,” God speaks to his people and tells them that they do not honor him. Essentially his accusation is that they offer deformed sacrifices when they have better animals in their flock. Verse 8: “But when you present the blind for sacrifice, is it not evil? And when you present the lame and sick, is it not evil? Why not offer it to your governor? Would he be pleased with you? Or would he receive you kindly? says the Lord of hosts.”

Last night President Obama dined at the home of a movie star as part of a fund raising dinner. I cannot imagine but she provided him the very best. God is saying to Israel, if you honor me, you will give me the very best, but instead you give me the lame and sick animals. How does this translate to my life in 2012? How am I tempted to hold back the very best for myself and give God less than my best? This Sunday I will lead our congregation in considering our financial giving as part of our discipleship. I will announce the bequest from Georgia Degraffenreid. I am fully convinced that the local church is the vehicle through which we honor God by our tithes. I do so with an automatic withdrawal from our checking account, and with giving above our tithe for special items.

Guide me today Lord as I offer my very best. Lead me to understand more fully how to honor You as a son honors his father, and as a servant honors his master. Thank you for the gift of this day and all that is in it. I am yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment