Thursday, June 28, 2012

June 28, 2012

A friend dialed me by mistake from Indiana yesterday. It was good to talk with him and catch up, as we had been single seminary students in the same dorm in 1980-1982. Last night I taught the fifth and final session of the summer semester of a basic course on Methodism at Wesley. It was a good class, but the material we purchased from Nashville was woefully inadequate. I have three days left in the office before being out for a while on vacation. Audrey and I are looking forward to July and the travels we will take.

I received my new odometer in the mail yesterday. In late May the clip on broke on my old one, rendering it impossible to wear. I find that not wearing an odometer made me more sedentary and less accountable to get a minimum of 7,000 steps in each day. Today I will exercise, probably at the gym with the machines in the air conditioning. It is pleasant out right now, and I could get a couple of miles in before getting ready for work. Hmmm.

Romans 12 (Upper Room devotional for today)

“I urge you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.” (Verses 1-2)

This is a powerful admonition! It is comprehensive – present your bodies as holy to God, and be transformed by the renewing of your mind. What does this mean for me today? To remember that my body is not master by slave, and my mind and thoughts need continual transformation from the corruption of the world. I will exercise this morning, and steep my mind in scripture throughout the day, seeking God’s mind, the mind of Christ.

Guide me in sacrifice and transformation today, most holy Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment