Saturday, September 10, 2011

September 10, 2011

9-10-11 Saturday, 6:27 am Springfield, 61 degrees, partly cloudy

Yesterday Audrey and I had a great day travelling with the Sojourners from Wesley to Branson, and then dinner and desert with Wesley leaders. It was really good for me to have time to visit and become better acquainted with several people with whom Pastor Jim Massey shepherds. Audrey is always delightful and encouraging to the people around her. Around 10:00 last night I went for a 2 mile run. Today I will meet with various folks, work on my sermon, exercise, and this evening assist with the movie night at Wesley, showing Letters to God.

Psalm 5 (text for sermon tomorrow)

“Give ear to my words, O Lord; give heed to my sighing. Listen to the sound of my cry, my King and my God, for to you I pray. O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice; in the morning I plead my case to you and watch.” (Verses 1-3) In his devotional commentary on the Psalms George O. Wood points out the difference between a sigh and a cry. In Verse 1 David asks God to pay attention to his sighing – that thought often accompanied by exhaling as a memory of the past or fear for the future drifts across your spirit with a somewhat passive physical response. In Verse 2 he asks God to listen to the sound of his cry. This is a more active and stronger form of calling out. If you are drowning, you cry out for help. David identifies the role of the One to whom he is praying – “my king and my God”. As a king himself, David knew the power and authority available to help his subjects.

Romans 8:26-27 “Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words. And God, who searches the heart, knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.” These verses inform me that the Holy Spirit in me is guiding my unformed prayers as I sigh, and searching my heart helps me pray according to the will of God. Lately I have been sighing as I ponder the church and the recent “dust up” among folks who are not happy. I sense God leading my steps, words and actions and I will continue to trust Him.

Lead me Lord, lead me in your righteousness, make my paths straight that I might accomplish your will and purposes. On this Saturday in September I desire to be used by you as I walk through the day, and I desire to pray without ceasing before your throne. Thank you for the gift of prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment