Friday, September 16, 2011

September 16, 2011

9-16-11 Friday, 7:44 am Springfield, 52 degrees, cloudy.

Yesterday was a long, strenuous and fruitful day of pastoral ministry. I began with an 8:30 worship planning meeting in which we zeroed in on the theme and material for spring 2012. We plan to produce our own small group DVD based on a study guide by Michael Slaughter. I spoke with his assistant yesterday requesting some copyright permission. I met with a worship leader at 11 to discuss the flow of the sanctuary worship services. At noon three pastors met with a leader to discuss aspects of the overall life of Wesley. In the afternoon and early evening I ministered to various family members involved in the tragic death of a 42 year-old father of three. Back at church I stopped by the Leadership Experience in which one of our leaders was teaching about evangelism, and I finished the evening with a two-hour church council meeting. Today I will prepare for the funeral, work on the Sunday service, and then conduct the funeral, graveside, and be with the family at the meal.

Galatians 2:17-3:9

Paul is directly confronting the Christians of Galatia with the power of Christ’s death and resurrection for salvation, contrasted with the emptiness of legalism. Some false teachers had infiltrated this region and were teaching that a gentile must first become a Jew in order to become a Christian, and that strictly following the Jewish laws and regulations was part of following Christ. Paul states clearly that we are “justified by faith in Christ, and not by doing the works of the law because no one will be justified by the works of the law.” (2:16) Paul presents the powerful example of Abraham who was not justified by keeping the law, “believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness.” (3:6)

Even in the various expressions of the body of Christ today there is the tension of faith and works. The apostle James addresses this in his epistle, and I am convinced that to the end of time serious followers of God will struggle to balance the faith in what God has done through Christ, with the obedience that requires a transformation of life in response to the Gospel. As I prepare to preach a series of messages in October called “Beyond Normal” I must strive to keep the balance of faith and works. I will be addressing the issues of time, relationships, sex, money and values.

Guide me today, most precious holy Lord as I serve you with joy as a pastor in America in this 21st century. Use me as your instrument of peace and comfort. Give me vision for pastoring beyond the horizon. I see your hand of mercy and will sing of your love forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment