Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11, 2011

9-11-11 Sunday, 6:04 am Springfield, 58 degrees.

“Evil is real, and so is courage” is the banner across the headline news this morning as our nation remembers the attacks of 9-11 ten years ago today. This morning in worship I will be teaching about prayer, answering the question “why pray?”

My short answer is “because God is listening and will act on our behalf.” This begs the question of the immutability of God, or does God change His mind and alter His course because of the prayers of humans? I have a friend who is writing a Ph.D. dissertation on this question, and it’s main impact is on the passion and urgency of prayer.

I will pray today and every day because I believe and have experienced that God is listening. The Bible teaches that “the effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much” (James 5:16)

Lead me Lord in your righteousness as I teach and encourage Wesley to pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment