Tuesday, September 6, 2011

September 6, 2011

9-6-11 Tuesday, 7:06 am Springfield, 48 degrees, clear.

Yesterday I awoke in David and Danelle’s newly purchased home near O’Fallon, as I was there with Audrey helping them get it ready to occupy. She has stayed for a couple more days, and I had an enjoyable motorcycle ride home, even with the gusty wind from the north. Today we will plan worship in the morning, and in the afternoon continue long-range planning for themes and worship direction. I have much to catch up on and prepare for this week.

As I did not have access to the internet, I did not write or post a blog yesterday. My devotions were from Ecclesiastes, with the 7th chapter providing much wisdom. The verses that spoke directly to me was 7:21,22: “Do not pay attention to every word people say, or you may hear your servant cursing you – for you know in your heart that many times you yourself have cursed others.” I imagined this verse rewritten just for pastors: Do not pay attention to every word people say about your sermons, for you know in your heart you have said unfavorable things about sermons you have heard.

Psalm 50

“The mighty One, God, the Lord, speaks and summons the earth from the rising of the sun to where it sets… Our God comes and will not be silent; a fire devours before him, and around him a tempest rages. He summons the heavens above, and the earth, that he may judge his people” (verses 1, 3, 4) Last night I was reading Metaxas’ biography of Bonhoeffer, and he was describing Dietrich’s theological musings of 1944which included his writing about “religionless Christianity”. This has been so misinterpreted, and I am interested in trying to get the sense of what he meant. I think it involved the fact that the organized church had become powerless against evil, and “good Christians” were avoiding sin, but ignoring the world around them.

This Psalm reminds me that God is the “mighty one”; He is “the Lord” who speaks and summons the entire earth. This morning the sun has just arisen, even as it right now is setting on the opposite side of the globe. I must focus today on the vastness of God, as he “summons the heavens above, and the earth, that he may judge his people.” I am yours today most holy One. Guide my steps as I walk in your ways, pastoring your sheep and seeking the lost, the spiritually asleep in this generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment