Friday, September 9, 2011

September 9, 2011

9-9-11 Friday, 6:21 am Springfield, 56 degrees

Audrey made it home safely after being in O’Fallon 8 days working on David and Danelle’s house. Today we travel with the Sojourners from Wesley to Branson and take in 2 shows and a nice lunch. I am looking forward to spending time with those on this trip. During my first 4 years here as pastor of Wesley I have wanted to participate in this way, but the schedule has not worked out. With this trip being on a Friday, and with advanced planning I was able to make it work.

Last night the NFL kicked off with Green Bay hosting New Orleans. I have the game recorded as I was in a staff parish meeting and then a visit to St. John’s hospital until 9:30. Out of curiosity I have watched the first five minutes and enjoyed watching Green Bay score on their opening drive, something New Orleans did not allow during the entire previous season!

Psalm 53:1-6

“Fools say in their hearts, ‘there is no God.’ They are corrupt, and their ways are vile; there is no one who does good. God looks down from heaven on the human race to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God.” (Verses 1-2) There seems to be an increasing number of “fools” in this culture who say in their hearts that there is no God. In Psalm 73 the writer states that “my feet had almost stumbled… for I was envious of the arrogant; I saw the prosperity of the wicked.” He goes on to say that godless people seem to get along pretty well in life, and as he tries to live in a way that pleases God, he has pain and trouble. When he went into the sanctuary of God (the temple) he gained clarity and he concluded “My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” (73:26)

As we approach the tenth anniversary of 9-11 and its tragic consequences I remember that there was much prayer on that day, and as all air traffic was grounded there was an eerie quietness about the day that lent itself to seeking God and trusting Him in the midst of confusion and loss. Psalm 53 verse 5b says “God scattered the bones of those who attacked you; you put them to shame, for God despised them.” Ben Laden is dead, his bones scattered in the ocean after a burial at sea. The future is uncertain, but as I seek God, I know that eternity is real and “my hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.” “I dare not trust the sweetest frame but wholly lean on Jesus’ name.”

No comments:

Post a Comment