Saturday, September 17, 2011

September 17, 2011

9-17-11 Saturday, 6:21 am Springfield, 54 degrees, light rain.

It is good to wake up early on this Saturday. I am looking forward to meeting with folks at Wesley who have expressed concerns about various aspects of church life. They met with our lay leader on Aug 30 and I will be responding this morning. I will be continuing to develop my sermon today, as well as meeting with a family concerning the baptizing of their infant daughter tomorrow. Yesterday I officiated at the funeral of Jeff Kessler. Tomorrow we host a team whose task is to present goals to our college aged ministry, similar to the prescriptions in the HCI process.

Galatians 3:10-22

Paul strongly admonishes the Galatian believers to live by faith, and not to rely upon “works”, or obedience to the law as the ground of their right-standing with God. In verse 11, he quotes Habakkuk 2:4b “but the righteous live by their faith”. Paul states definitively in verse 12 that “the law is not of faith”.
In verse 19 the apostle asks the question: “Why the law then?” His answer: “It was added because of transgressions, having been ordained through angels by the agency of a mediator, until the seed should come to whom the promise had been made.” In verse 16 Paul had specified that the “seed” in the promise to Abraham is Christ.

So, on this mid-September weekend I will walk by faith, not by sight. Jesus has taken upon himself the curse of the law and I live through faith in Him. Guide me holy Lord as faith results in good works which bless and draw more people to accept your love in Jesus Christ. Use me today, most holy Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment