Saturday, September 3, 2011

September 3, 2011

9-3-11 Saturday, 8:04 am O’Fallon, 80 degrees already!

Yesterday I went for a ride with Chris and we toured around New Melle, Schluersburg, Augusta, Dutzow as we enjoyed being on our motorcycles, two fathers-in-law on a day off. The rest of the day was invested in helping David and Danelle get their house ready for occupancy. There was much painting, power washing the basement floor, with an additional long list of projects that we will tackle in the next days.

This morning I had an unusual dream in which I was panicking about finding on my computer the manuscript of my sermon. I was in my office, with about ten minutes before the service started. A common dream for students or former students is a panic about not having a paper or project completed. I think this is my first “nightmare” about not being able to find my sermon. Even though I am not preaching this weekend, it is interesting that this is in my subconscious.

Ecclesiastes 1-3 (yesterday’s reading for the One Year Bible)

The teacher introduces himself in chapter one, and comments on the futility, or meaninglessness of life. The author of this book has traditionally been understood as being Solomon, David’s son, king of Israel, the man to whom God gave wisdom when in a dream he asked for it. The pastors retreat I attended in August included a morning of the 11 of us reflecting upon this book, especially chapter 3. There are other theories of authorship, but I lean toward the traditional understanding that it is Solomon.

“All their days their work is grief and pain; even at night their minds do not rest. This too is meaningless (2:23).” (Last night my mind apparently could not rest!) This chapter begs the question “why?” In January I will preach a series of sermons with that title, drawn from Adam Hamilton’s new book, and I will use Ecclesiastes as the scripture. “Eat, drink and be happy” is the sense of verse 24. And in verse 26 is the hint of the writers conclusion: “to the person who pleases him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness …” The conclusion that we settled upon on the pastors retreat was that the essence of life is relationships – with God and with others. Jesus said that the two greatest commandments are to love God and to love neighbor.

Chapter 3 begins with the famous litany of 28 human experiences, describing each as having a time – a time to be born, and a time to die … I will read this chapter later today.

Guide me today Lord as one who loves you, and the people with whom I am neighbor. Guard me from the foolishness of all the other pursuits that in the end are foolishness.

No comments:

Post a Comment