Sunday, September 4, 2011

September 4, 2011

9-4-11 Sunday, 8:00 am O’Fallon, 71 degrees, raining.
Thomas Friedman, author of The World is Flat (2004) has written a new book That Used to Be Us: How America Fell Behind in the World It Invented and How We Can Come Back . He named 4 factors that have landed us in our present situation: 1. The end of the cold war in the 80s – we misinterpreted this as a victory, in reality we unleashed 2 billion people just like us to compete. 2. The 90s was a 10 year victory parade, buoyed by lower oil prices and borrowing, 3. 9-11 in 2001 put us on a hunt (necessarily so) for the outcasts of this modern world, which detracted us from competing with the emerging leaders of this modern world; 4. The passing of the greatest generation whose values were sustainable; with leadership transferred to baby boomers, whose values are situational. The greatest generation valued working and saving. Boomers value borrowing and spending. He proposes that creativity and adaptation are the greatest opportunities, and education is critical going forward.

It is interesting to see Friedman on Meet the Press live on a Sunday morning, as I am preparing for the day here in O’Fallon. Last night we attended worship at Morning Star United Methodist Church, and pastor Mike Schreiner recognized me as being the grandparent (he call me the grandmother!) of Morning Star Church, as it is the daughter church of SunRise, of which I was the founding pastor. Today we will paint and work on David and Danelle’s house. My mind and heart are at Wesley on this Sunday morning, as pastors Jerry, Mi Hyeon, and Matt lead worship and celebrate communion.

Ecclesiastes 3 – 5

In chapter 4 the author observes the value of relationships, and how just one other person can enhance one’s life in work and in difficulty. He states that a three strand chord is not quickly broken. Sometimes this chapter is cited at weddings, of the value of the husband and wife partnership, along with the presence of God’s Spirit as the third strand. I continue to see the main theme of this book in the Bible is relationships matter, and the heart of human existence is relationship with others, and relationship with God. This is essentially all that a person has that is real and eternal. Everything else in life is a “chasing after the wind.”

“When you make a vow to God, do not delay to fulfill it. He has no pleasure in fools; fulfill you vow. It is better not to make a vow than to make one and not fulfill it.” (5:4-5) I have consciously made two vows to God in my life – one in 1976 to read the Bible every day before I eat breakfast, or not eat breakfast, and in 1983 to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, til death do us part Audrey Holmgren. Both of these vows I am daily conscious of and will fulfill without delay.

Guide me holy Lord as I serve you throughout this day. I thank you for your word, for your spirit, and for your death on my behalf. I am yours. I surrender all to thee my blessed savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment