Tuesday, September 20, 2011

September 20, 2011

9-20-11 Tuesday, 7:00 am 48 degrees, clear.

It is a beautiful day in the Ozarks! Audrey and I are getting ready for a long day of travel. It will be good to see friends and to be on a different pace. I am taking three books with me – Weird by Groeschel, Onward by Schultz – “How Starbucks Fought for its Life without Losing Its Soul”, and In the Garden of Beasts about the Dodd family in Germany, 1933.

Galatians 5:13-25 (Today’s One Year Bible)

“If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.” (Verse 15) It seems that people in communion with one another always face the temptation to “bite and devour”, to pick and complain and gossip. Paul addresses this directly with this precious group of believers in the region of Galatia, and his words ring powerfully appropriate down through the ages.

His antidote follows in verse 16 “So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature.” Verses 17-25 clearly teach about the conflict of the sinful nature and the fruit of the spirit. “Love, joy peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control” (Verses 22-23) are the components of the fruit of the Spirit in a person’s life. My goal is to fully rely on God’s Spirit to cultivate these fruits in my life, using every circumstance, every trial, every day to ripen and polish these attributes.

Guide me today, and every day as I live for Jesus, in the power of the Spirit with a long view of this short life. I am yours, Lord, direct my life in every way through the twists and turns of this journey. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment