Monday, September 12, 2011

September 12, 2011

9-12-11 Monday, 5:34 am Springfield, 58 degrees.

II Cor 12:11-21 (One Year Bible)

Paul continues to defend his ministry and his apostleship to the recipients of this letter. In verse 20 he states his fear that when he comes to visit this church he will find “quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, factions, slander, gossip, arrogance and disorder.” It seems too easy for the body of Christ to participate in these activities. Why do people in churches quarrel? Why are their factions? What is the source of gossip? Perhaps this one verse contains a window into the downside possibilities of every faith community. A goal for pastors and church leaders is to guard against these tendencies with measures to emphasize the upside opportunities of grace, humility, self-control, unity, truthfulness, maturity, and order.

Psalm 56 (One Year Bible)

The author is asking God for mercy in the midst of enemies and adversaries. He says “when I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise – in God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?” (verses 3-4) This is a great reminder for every child of God – what can mere mortals do to me?

Guide me today Lord as I navigate the role of pastor, leader, teacher, servant. Bless the work of Converge as United Methodist pastors gather in Sedalia for teaching, encouragement, fellowship. Strengthen the community through the mission of Wesley in Springfield to develop more disciples of Jesus Christ who worship, care and serve.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
    It is a blessing to me.

    ReplyDelete