Saturday, October 1, 2011

October 1, 2011

10-1-11 Saturday, 5:27 am Springfield, 42 degrees, clear.

Yesterday was a full day of ministry. I worked at the office until early afternoon, made a hospital visit, went to the gym, and then back to Wesley for the evening “Family Festival” where I had several great visits with young and unchurched families. Today I will work on my sermon, dig through emails, make some phone calls and continue to unpack and get back into the routine here at home.

On our way through customs in Memphis on Thursday Audrey and I had an interesting interaction with the agent. She was uncharacteristically lighthearted and joked with him when he asked what the purpose of our trip had been, and when he asked about our vocations. When I replied that I was a pastor, and that I was looking forward to getting back to work, he responded “you must be a real pastor then, if you are looking forward to your work.” In an unexpected way, this was very affirming coming from a customs official. I do look forward to my work, each day, and being away for a while has refreshed and reinvigorated my soul.

Philippians 2:19 – 3:3 (One Year Bible)

Paul commends Timothy to the church, stating that many people look out for their own interests, but he has proved himself in all his work supporting Paul’s ministry. He also thanks them for sending Epaphroditus to serve in their stead, and he is sending him back because they have heard Epaphroditus had been sick, and he did almost die in serving Christ. These are two very personal glimpses into the ministry of Paul and the life of the church. Down through time and around the world there have been countless men and women who have served faithfully as did Timothy and Epaphroditus. Though unknown to history, their work is pleasing unto God, and it is good for the church to recognize them whenever possible. Pastors and church leaders do well to follow Paul’s example of commending faithful servants.

Psalm 73

As I scrolled my Droid through the scriptures for today, I was surprised by this Psalm. It popped up right after the Philippians reading, and I almost read it by accident. I am familiar with it, and it is one of my favorites. During this early hour on Saturday, its words speak deeply into my spirit.

The writer is a faithful believer, who worships the God of Israel. But he states in verse 2 that his “feet almost slipped,” that is his faith was shaken. This occurred as he watched the arrogant and the proud who appeared to have no struggles, for whom “pride is their necklace; they clothe themselves with violence.” Throughout history there are such men and women. In some periods they are very visible, such as the Nazis during the 1930s. Mostly, though, it seems to me that every believer knows people who ignore God, live their lives in selfish and insensitive ways, and appear to “have it made”, while followers of God surrender their lives to His lordship, and struggle.

Verse 13 gives voice to the discouragement “Surely in vain I have kept my heart pure and have washed my hands in innocence.” During the long haul of life, there are seasons during which following God and living a holy life can seem futile. However, the key to the Psalm, the hinge upon which it turns is verse 17. The writer states “till I entered the sanctuary of God; then I understood their final destiny.” Entering the tabernacle, or the temple, the space set aside to worship God almighty, complete with reminders of His presence, His power, His purposes, and His people reoriented the writer to the spiritual reality. God is in charge, and no matter how secure arrogant people seem, they are on slippery ground (18). They are “suddenly destroyed, completely swept away by terrors.”

Verses 21 – 28 record the repentance of the writer for being so close to despair, and his renewed commitment to a life of faith in God. “Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My strength and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” (Verses 23-26) This is my prayer this morning, and I shall meditate upon this Psalm throughout the day. Thank You Lord for your word, and for your Spirit which speaks to your children through your word.

No comments:

Post a Comment