Monday, October 24, 2011

October 24, 2011

10-24-11 Monday, 4:55 am Springfield, 50 degrees, clear

This is the last week of trout season. I did not set an alarm, and determined as I went to bed that if I naturally woke up early, I might go down to Roaring River and bag some trout for dinner. I will read scriptures, watch some news, and then gather the equipment needed for fishing. Perhaps I will be on my way by 6:00 am. This afternoon I will take a pastor flying over Springfield. Yesterday was a very good day of worship and celebration at Wesley.

II Timothy 2:22 – 3:17

The practical advice in this letter is a gift to leaders in the church. In verses 24-26 Paul teaches: “And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.” Across the world, throughout all denominations and expressions of the body of Christ - if leaders were kind to everyone, able to teach and not resentful the kingdom of God would benefit greatly.

In chapter 3 Paul describes what will transpire “in the last days”: People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God – having a form of godliness but denying it power.” (Verses 2-5a) This description applies to this present age, and even as we are 2000 years removed from its writing, it is incredibly accurate. Rather than give instructions on how to minister to these people, Paul says “Have nothing to do with such people” (verse 5). I suggest that he is describing people within the faith community, not people who are spiritually asleep. His last phrase “having a form of godliness but denying its power” tips us off that these are “religious” people.

What is the hope of the world? Jesus Christ – crucified, buried, raised from the dead and seated at the right hand of the Father! I am glad that we are not left to human nature to make the world a better place. Guide me Holy Lord today as I live for you, shaped by your Word, led by your Spirit. Teach me and use me as your servant.

No comments:

Post a Comment