Saturday, October 8, 2011

October 8, 2011

10-8-11 Saturday, 7:05 am Springfield, 64 degrees.

Thursday night we met until 10 o’clock with the staff parish relations committee. Friday morning I designed the sermon for this weekend on relationships. I will continue with this preparation today, along with visits with parents preparing for an infant baptism and another with a couple preparing for marriage. My ankle has not recovered enough to run on, so I am limited to the elliptical machine at the gym. As I prepare for the Feb 5 marathon, I am aware of the passing of each day in light of how many miles I have trained. This is similar to how I have experienced the advance of the calendar in each of the three previous seasons (1981, 1995, 2006) leading up to a marathon.

Mark 12

Jesus faces several tests from those who do not believe he is God’s son. Verses 1-11 are a parable about an owner of a vineyard who sends servants and then his son to receive some of the produce of the vineyard. The tenants wounded and killed these servants and his son. Jesus asked what the vineyard owner might do – and his conclusion was destruction of the vine-growers and placing the care of the vineyard with others. The Jewish leaders realized that he spoke this parable against them.
In this chapter the Pharisees, the Herodians, the Sadducees and the Scribes all take issue with his message. He withstood their traps and testing well, and in verse 34 it says “and after that, no one would venture to ask Him any more questions.” As I follow Christ I desire to have the same wisdom He displayed, and to have an ever deepening understanding of the kingdom of God. Reading this chapter I realize that there will always be controversy around the lives of dedicated followers of Christ. We will appear weird to the world, and will raise the ire especially of “religious” people.

Guide me today most holy Lord as I live and breathe this October Saturday in the Ozarks. May my words, thoughts, actions, preparation and responses be according to your will and purposes all day long.

No comments:

Post a Comment