Tuesday, October 4, 2011

October 4, 2011

10-4-11 Tuesday, 6:41 am Springfield, 50 degrees, clear

We are in a patch of gorgeous weather! Yesterday I planted some grass seed, knowing that I am about a month later than optimal, but hoping that it will sprout and get established before harsher weather. For the first time, I worked out 80 minutes on an elliptical machine, as I increase my mileage while nursing a sprained ankle. I have signed up for a February 5 marathon in California. Today I look forward to a regular Tuesday of staff prayer, worship planning, etc. There are several items related to leadership development and visioning that need my attention, and I look forward to my annual evaluation this afternoon with my district superintendent.

Colossians 1:1-17

In verses 9-12 Paul describes the content of his prayers for the believers, and his prayer makes a great description of a mature, grown up believer:
• be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding
• walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects
• bearing fruit in every good work
• increasing in the knowledge of God
• strengthened with all power … for the attaining of all steadfastness and patience
• joyously giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in light.

Yesterday I submitted to a publisher my commendation of Steve Rankin’s book Aiming at Maturity, and in reading the drafts I am convinced that spiritual maturity is a clear goal that has so often eluded the church. These six characteristics are a great goal and vision for me to press toward.

Lord, today may I be filled with the knowledge of your will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, may I behave in a manner worthy of you, pleasing you in all respects, may I bear fruit in every good work, may I increase in the knowledge of you, be strengthened with all power, and joyously give thanks to you, on this fourth day of October in the Ozarks, and every day, in every place the rest of my earthly life.

No comments:

Post a Comment