Monday, October 3, 2011

October 3, 2011

10-3-11 Monday, 6:58 am Springfield, 41 degrees

I preached yesterday on the use of time, and my two application points were: study the life of Jesus and observe how he used time, and pay attention to saying no to good things, that the very best can get your focus, as you create margins in your schedule. So today I have my “day off”, my sabbath. I have an eye exam at 9:00 and the rest of the day unscheduled. After reading scripture I will build the list of possibilities for this day. Last night Audrey and I ate dinner at Lamberts in Ozark, our first time there and had a great dinner and great conversation.

Philippians 4

There are many spiritual jewels in this chapter. In verse 8 Paul gives advice about what to think upon: “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things.” This verse has been meaningful to me over the years as I have intentionally adjusted my thought patterns. Norman Vincent Peale wrote extensively on the “power of positive thinking”, and though maligned by some evangelicals, he encouraged millions in this way.

In verse 12 Paul states that he has “learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.” This is a powerful accomplishment, to be content. When I preach on money later this month I will address this concept of “godliness with contentment” being a great gain. I am content. My circumstances are more stable and predictable than Paul’s were, and none of us know the future. I am confident in God that I will have adequate resources for the basic needs of life until the end of life. The culture in which I live is anxious about the future, and many people have not made any plans for their elder years. I am thankful for the resources available for my family, and generosity is a critical component.

“I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” (Verse 13, NASB) This confident affirmation is a powerful verse for every Christian to memorize and apply. Today Lord I will think upon true and noble things, I will be content, and I will be confident that as you strengthen me, I can do your will. Guide my steps and order my day according to your perfect plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment