Sunday, October 2, 2011

October 2, 2011

10-2-11 Sunday, 5:19 am Springfield 41 degrees.

For the first time this season I have ignited the gas fireplace to take the chill off the morning. I would rather have a wood-burning fireplace, but I must admit that flipping a switch is much easier than building a fire from scratch. I am looking forward to leading the congregation in the celebration of World Communion Sunday, and beginning the sermon series “Beyond Normal”. As I put the final touches on my preparation during this early morning hour, I am open to how the Spirit is leading.

Philippians 3:4-21 (One year Bible)

I find this Epistle really speaking to me this week. “… one thing I do: forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” (13b-14) This is a great orientation for a person like me in latter middle age, not to sit on previous work, but to press on and strain to win the prize of the upward call in Christ Jesus. Today I am pressing on the upward way (to quote an old hymn!)

Paul warns that there are obstacles: “… many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ.” (Verses 18b-20) Paul is describing “normal” people, who live for themselves, mind set on this world and all it offers. But we hold a different passport. We are in a different line preparing to immigrate. And we look “weird” to the people who are living as though this is all there is.

Guide me holy Lord as I preach and teach your Word to the flock that gathers at Wesley today. Help me to kindle a fire, to nurture faith, to bind up the broken and provide release to the captives. I am yours, my time is yours, my life is in your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment