Thursday, October 6, 2011

October 6, 2011

10-6-11 Thursday 6:57 am Springfield, 58 degrees

Steve Jobs died of pancreatic cancer yesterday at the age of 56. He was the college dropout who founded Apple Computer. His innovation and vision made a significant impact upon technology during the last 30 years. I have not been a fan of Apple, MacIntosh or the Iphone, Ipad. However I do appreciate his contribution to technology. Today I have a meeting with our director of communication and technology to discuss ways as pastor I can use Twitter to communicate.

Colossians 2:8-23

In these verses Paul emphasizes the supremacy of Christ. In verse 8 he warns against letting anyone “take you captive through philosophy and empty deception … rather than according to Christ.” Verses 9-10 are critical to a proper understanding of Jesus and the believer: “For in Him all the fullness of the Deity dwells in bodily form, and Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority; and in Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ.”

As I live out this day of ministry, I will be strengthened by these verses which remind and reinforce within me the work of Christ and the impact upon my life and the church. In verse 8 the warning not to be deceived reminds me of a comment I heard recently, which I have heard before and continue to ponder: “there are churches that let the world creep in…” I am not sure what this means, or what it looks like, but I am convinced that there will always be a tension for church leaders to submit completely to the Lordship of Christ and to reach the lost, spiritually asleep people who are “captive through philosophy and empty deception.” When some people say that “the world is creeping into the church” they are referring to modes of dress, types of music, use of technology, etc. I think these are more peripheral issues, and the heart of the matter is – does the church live in the heartbeat of Christ, or is the church human centered, controlled by the desires of people rather than the perfect will of God? Discerning what it means to live in the "heartbeat of Christ" is a daily, regular responsibility for pastors and church leaders.

Most Holy God, guide my steps, my thoughts, my actions, my speech today that in everything I may be centered in You, pursuing Your will, building Your kingdom, for Your glory.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you again for the daily thoughts to ponder. The verses (Colossians 2:8-23) I find helpful as I study. I am thankful to God for the technology that allows me to follow others as we study together.

    ReplyDelete