Wednesday, October 26, 2011

October 26, 2011

10-26-11 Wednesday, 4:52 am Springfield, 68 warm degrees.

I have been doing some online banking, and am looking forward to this day. Having awakened at 3:50, and knowing I did not get adequate sleep, I will push through and see how my level of energy flows today. I am tentatively planning to attend the 9:00 pm college worship at St. Paul’s tonight. Tomorrow I begin the day with an early breakfast and end it with staff-parish meeting. Yesterday was a good day of writing, planning, meeting, and catching up. I regret that I was unable to attend our life
group last night due to the press of unfinished business.

I am reading a biography of Jefferson Davis by William Cooper Jr. Reading it a few pages each night since late August has taken my thoughts to the 1840s in Mississippi, Texas, and Mexico. I have learned of the political tensions of that era, the dreams and sorrows of young Jefferson Davis, and though I am only 157 pages into this 800 page work, I have benefited much. Biography is my favorite form of literature, and has been since I was in elementary school.

Titus 1

The apostle Paul wrote this letter to Titus, who like Timothy, was a younger protégé and was appointed by Paul to care for a segment of the church. Paul left Titus on the island of Crete, and told him to appoint elders in every city. Paul describes the characteristics of good elders: “above reproach, the husband of one wife, having children who believe and are not accused of being wild or disobedient. Since an overseer manages God’s household, he must be blameless – not overbearing or self-willed, not quick-tempered, not given to drunkenness, not violent, not pursuing dishonest gain. Rather, he should be hospitable, loving what is good, self-controlled, upright, sensible, and disciplined”. (Verses 6-8 qouted from both the NASB and TNIV)

I serve as a member of the annual conference ordained ministry committee, and chair of the district ordained ministry committee, and we are charged with the process of credentialing folks who are in the process of becoming pastors in the United Methodist Church. It is a daunting process, and these instructions from Paul are the gold standard for character and conduct. John Wesley had a lot to say about the selection of pastors, and their supervision.

In verses 10-16 Paul identifies negative characteristics found in the culture of Crete, and also in the young church. Paul instructs Titus to silence those who are “rebellious men, empty talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision group” (verse 10) Church discipline is always a difficult endeavor, and overseers (leaders) of the body of Christ have a weighty responsibility. Guide me today Lord as I serve You as lead pastor of Wesley United Methodist Church, developing more disciples of You who worship, care and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment