Friday, October 21, 2011

October 21, 2011

10-21-11 Friday, 6:49 am Springfield, 30 degrees – First frost!

I am looking forward to getting back to the office and my work as a pastor. On the road I have been handling various items by phone, text, etc. Yesterday we had a very good session with Bishop Schnase and the 5 of us pastors of large churches who are going through the HCI process. We read a book by Peter L. Steinke entitled A Door Set Open: Grounding Change in Mission and Hope, published by The Alban Institute. This was my first experience to read a Kindle Edition book. I do not have a Kindle, but downloaded the software to this laptop. I especially liked the capacity to highlight, make notes, and then review the notes and highlights at a glance.

I Timothy 5 (yesterday’s reading)

Paul gives practical instructions to Timothy about life in the church: how to relate to men and women of different ages, and how the church should determine which widows should be cared for, and how families should care for their members with needs. As a pastor I value the “pastoral epistles” I, II Timothy and Titus and the wisdom Paul shares. If there is a section of the New Testament that I would specialize in, this would be it.

I Timothy 6

Verses 6-7 (NASB) “But godliness actually is a means of great gain, when accompanied by contentment. For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either.” With these sentences Paul is countering the approach of some, who advocate a different doctrine, who do not agree with the doctrine conforming to godliness, who, conceited and disputing about words, stir up envy, strife, and evil suspicions (verses 3-5). Paul reminds Timothy (and all believers) “if we have food and covering, with these we shall be content.” (8) This is such practical teaching for the church. On Sunday I am preaching on the topic of money, and I will include this section from I Timothy.

Verses 9-10 “But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith, and pierced themselves with many a pang.” The phrase “the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil” is a fairly often quoted expression. This is consistent with Jesus’ teaching that a person cannot love God and Mammon. In every generation the love of money is a critical trap to be avoided. It is subtle, slick, and subversive. One of my goals in my sermon will be to teach how to avoid the love of money. Paul continues his letter with this advice to Timothy:

Verses 11-12 “But flee from these things, you man of God; and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith; take hold of the eternal life to which you were called, and you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.”

Guide me today most holy Lord as I pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance and gentleness. May my actions, decisions, preparation, prayers, presence, and teaching be acceptable and life-giving as your servant through the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment