Monday, October 31, 2011

October 31, 2011

10-31-11 Monday, 7:30 am Springfield, 34 degrees.

Ruth Madoff and her son Andrew are being interviewed on the news about the pain and loss caused by the 65 billion dollar ponzi scheme perpetrated by Bernie Madoff which was discovered in December, 2008. What a tragedy all around, with the suicide last year of one of the sons, and the 1000s of victims who lost their life savings. As the economy tanked in 2008, Madoff’s clients who had invested with him because of his excellent rate of return, learned that there was no investment, it was all an illusion and they were left with nothing. I imagine that this has caused many investors to wonder if their retirement accounts are real or imaginary. It also raises the issue of this world and the next, what is really valuable and what will disappear when the son of God is revealed.

Hebrews 1-2

Hebrews is one of my favorite books of the Bible. I studied it in depth in seminary, and still draw upon that work. I look forward to reading it a chapter a day for the next couple of weeks. In chapter one the author states that God, who long ago spoke to the fathers in the prophets has spoken in these last days to us in His Son. “He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power” (verse 3). This stirs within me the desire to worship God with praise and thanksgiving for sending His son and revealing Him to us.

“We must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, lest we drift away from it.” (2:1) Yesterday in my sermon I mentioned the possibility of drift, and how easy it is to lose the reference point on a shoreline. I proposed that the cross is the best possible reference point for the life of a believer. Also in chapter 2 the writer compares Jesus to angels, and states the unique role he fulfilled as he was tempted and suffered as do the children of flesh and blood.

Thank you Lord for revealing to your servants truths about Your kingdom. Guide me on this beautiful autumn day as I live in this world but not of it, pushing my body in a long run and communing with you as friend to friend. Draw me nearer precious Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment