Saturday, March 10, 2012

March 10, 2012

Today we celebrate the awards ceremony for Upward. There will be exciting testimony from a Christian BMX team. I will lead the opening and the closing. The team will offer a prayer of salvation for all present. I had an interesting thought overnight about the offering of a prayer of salvation – Sometimes there is criticism for those whose main ministry is measured by the number of such prayers. How does this figure into the spiritual life of a believer? Essentially, this is the point of justifying grace, when God’s prevenient grace bears fruit and the individual accepts what God has done, applying the sacrifice of the cross to one’s sinful self. This prayer of salvation is the beginning of new life in Christ, and through it the Holy Spirit begins to work in new and different ways, God’s sanctifying grace. This is basic doctrine with a Wesleyan understanding, but I have a new appreciation of it after the insight gained through the night.

Acts 23

Paul speaks to the Jewish Council in Jerusalem. Recognizing that it is composed of both Pharisees and Sadducees he states “I am on trial for the hope and resurrection of the dead!” This threw the council into an uproar because the Pharisees believe in the resurrection, and angels and spirits, but the Sadducees do not. The Roman commander ordered his troops to go into this confusion and remove Paul. That night the Lord stood at Paul’s side and said: “Take courage; for as you have solemnly witnessed to My cause at Jerusalem, so you must witness at Rome also.”

The Jews formed a conspiracy, planning to kill Paul, but Paul’s nephew overheard the plot and warned him. The commander believed the nephew’s report, and made arrangements to have Paul taken by night under guard to Caesarea, to Felix the governor with a letter describing the situation. The governor decided to hear Paul’s case after his accusers arrived, and he was kept in Herod’s Praetorium.

This chapter reminds me of the courage and commitment that Paul, and innumerable others have demonstrated in their witness to Christ as Lord, through all types of opposition. I am inspired by this, as I serve Christ in a quieter setting, with less outright opposition, but invisible inner opposition. Tomorrow I will preach the gospel to 1,000 people who gather at Wesley, and I will announce the wonderful healing power of faith in the God who heals. Guide me most holy Lord as I live into the message you are raising up in and through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment