Wednesday, March 28, 2012

March 28, 2012

I had a dream last night that I found one of my daily action sheets containing my to-do list which was about a week old. My eye fell to the list of people having surgery, and I had the sinking feeling that I had missed praying with folks. This morning I will pray with the husband of one of our staff members who is having his knee scoped. Yesterday I had a strategic conversation with leaders about ultimate responsibility for various areas of ministry, including congregational care.

Romans 9

The apostle expresses his sorrow and grief for his kinsmen, the Israelites “to whom belongs the adoption as sons and the glory and the covenants and the giving of the Law and the temple service and the promises, whose are the fathers, and from whom is the Christ according to the flesh, who is over all, God blessed forever.” (Verses 4-5) In the following verses he develops themes of election, faith, and works. In verse 16 “So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs (RSV exertion), but on God who has mercy.”

Verses 30-33 provide his conclusion: “What shall we say then? That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, attained righteousness, even the righteousness which is by faith; but Israel, pursuing a law of righteousness, did not arrive at that law. Why? Because they did not pursue it by faith, but as though it were by works. They stumbled over the stumbling stone…” I clearly see the application of this today, as good religious people trust in their good works, and fail to pursue righteousness by faith. I desire in every context to encourage faith and good works.

Guide me today, most Holy Rock of salvation, as I lead, teach, respond, pray, serve, and grow your body on earth. This is a bountiful season for Wesley UMC; guide me in all the ways I serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment